Monday, May 10, 2010

Portland has a lot growing for it - 30 years as a Tree City USA community; Portland, ME

Portland has a lot growing for it The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram:
PORTLAND - 'I read that there are plans to plant trees in Monument Square,' read the e-mail from Mathew Holmes to the city arborist. 'This sounds like a great idea. I heard that you are considering planting ginkgo trees. PLEASE, tell me they aren't the kind of ginkgo trees found on Brackett and Clark streets. As I'm sure you know, those trees are considered a menace by all that live or walk by them due to their berries that smell like vomit and get on your shoes and on vehicles parked under them. My daughter refers to them as 'stinko ginkgoes' and I have heard other neighbors refer to them as 'puke trees.' Please do not permit them in Monument Square.'

There is more to planting a tree than digging a hole and remembering to water it.

Ask Jeff Tarling, Portland's arborist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments provided they are not Anonymous. Anonymous comments will not be posted.